‘Tis a new year of diminished expectations which means technically, I don’t even need to make any resolutions for 2009. No one really expects me to keep them. In fact, no one seems to expect anything of me, or themselves or anyone else – except if your initials are BHO, in which case you are expected to save the world, save us from ourselves and stop smoking. No extra credit for those six-pack abs, buddy and sorry but last November is so last year.
In the spirit of setting the bar low enough for me to crawl under, I hereby resolve:
- …to refrain from offering my opinion about whether Caroline Kennedy should serve as New York’s junior Senator even if asked. Not that I’d ever be asked because if I were, I’d only be reminded that as I live in New Jersey, my opinion is irrelevant .
- …to consider long and hard any and all offers to work for the new administration.
- …to stop resolving to give up sugar. Why should I? Sugar is a mood elevator and an anti-depressant and it certainly enhances the taste of anything chocolate.
- …to stop obsessing over my dog, except have you seen my dog?
- …to keep trying to solve the Middle East crisis – at least in my head, since no one’s asked me for my opinion.
- …to find inner peace. I hold over this resolution from year to year. Obviously, I haven’t found it yet. Check back with me in June.
As my friend Dave suggested, have a Very New Year!